Sunday, March 11, 2012

Aqua Exercising

You guys know I teach aqua exercise in the pool at 24 Hour Fitness, right?
Well, I am a big believer in water exercise because of the lower impact on the body and the natural resistance of the water against the body. I think a participant in an aqua class can work harder in water than they would on land and it would be softer on the body, which makes it perfect for people with physical limitations. Of course, you have to put your own work into it and hopefully my loud cuing and demands will help motivate you to push. If you want some cross training to challenge your body in a different way, I recommend trying an aqua class. Anyhow, I found an article on aqua aerobics that does a pretty good job of summing up the program:


 http://health.ninemsn.com.au/fitness/exercise/691097/water-exercise

Also, here is an example of an exercise I teach in my Aqua Classes.  This cardio exercise focuses on the abdominals and lats, but also strengthens your balance and there is absolutely no impact.  Andee makes it look easy, but I'm telling you it's challenging.  Try doing intervals of 7-10 minutes.