Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Lunges

Those of you who have taken my classes always hear me talking about how to do a proper lunge.  I want to show you what I consider a proper lunge.  When we do a lunge, I feel the muscles we are focusing on are the quadriceps.  And, true to my belief, I feel it is necessary to do an exercise properly so that we concentrate that one particular muscle.  In the case of lunges, it is the back leg's quadriceps that are doing the work in the exercise.  If you keep the front leg over the ankle, keep the pelvis tucked under, and keep your torso upright during the entire exercise, you will get the maximum benefit of the lunge exercise. However, not only is the back leg's quadriceps being worked, but the front leg is also getting a work out as is the calf of the back leg. If you are following the form I am using, I believe you will avoid putting too much work on the knee and also avoid putting the back in a precarious, possibly straining, position. Check out this video to understand what I am talking about.